* Shop with online merchants you know and trust
* Order from secure Web sites, which can be identified by a locked padlock or unbroken key icon in your Web browser (unsecured sites may show an unlocked padlock or a broken key)
* Keep printouts of everything! Including printouts of the Web Pages describing what you ordered
* Use credit cards for online purchases, which limit your loss to $50 if your credit is used without authorization
* Don't give out your Social Security Number
* Don't give out unnecessary information
* Don't send your credit card number by e-mail
* Don't give out your passwords for e-commerce Web sites to anyone
* Don't give out your bank information; no one needs it for an online order
* Double-check every Web site address, for example make sure it's www.mystoreishopat.com and not www.mystoreishopat.com.orders.scam.isteal.yourlife.info
* Don't click on links within e-mails. Type in the Web site's address yourself
* Remember, if the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.
* And remember Don't shop at work.
Some Online Sources:
Better Business Bureau (www.bbbonline.org)
Privacy Rights Clearinghouse (www.privacyrights.org)
Federal Trade Commission (www.ftc.gov)
We do know that everyone gets those dream gadgets for the Holidays, but IT hopes that you enjoy them on your computers at home and not attempt to use them here. That will be your gift to us.
Have a great and safe Holiday Season!